Friday, March 25, 2011

Car Crazy Anyone?

This is how I spent my work day…


My drive to work each morning: roughly 45 minutes give or take, but almost entirely highway. This morning I caught myself doing what I always do-car shop, mid-drive. The girl to my left was driving a Volvo; the guy to my right was driving his BMW convertible, top down despite the chilling weather this morning. I was passed by a newer model Mustang, and when I pulled into work today it was behind cute little Mazda 3.

When I pulled into the parking deck I was a force to be reckoned with. Cars as far as the eye could see, new cars-old cars-big cars-small cars-red cars- alright, I’ll get out of Dr. Seuss mode-when I climbed out of my own car I took one step back, and gave it a once over. I literally just bought my car a year ago. It’s a nice and simple 2007 Nissan Sentra. I like her, she’s been good to me you know, for the last year.

I got to my desk, powered on my computer, and went straight to Autotrader.com…where I have now been for four hours and counting. I really wish I could tell you that is an exaggeration. I then went to the big decision maker in my life, Facebook. Naturally, I had to consult with my Facebook friends; next up, Twitter-getting the picture?

And now I’m posting a blog?

I have utterly exhausted my Social Media outlets, and yet still I’m obsessed with this new car idea. So ridiculously obsessed that I’m texting people about it, like my father:

Me: I want a new car! Thoughts?
Dad: Up to you.
Me: I had a funny feeling you would say that:)
Dad: You can look into it.
Me: I’m thinking Volkswagen, maybe Honda Accord? I have always wanted an Xterra! Oh, an FJ Cruiser!! Do you like those? Why aren’t you as excited as me? This is big stuff daddy-O. Do you like your Murano?
Dad: Sure, I like it.
Me: “I like it.” That’s all you got?
Dad: I would buy another one?
Me: Are FJ Cruisers good cars?
Dad: Don’t know.
Me: Maybe, a Mustang? I love the new ones
Dad: How about a nice Corolla?
Me: A COROLLA?
Dad: …or whatever

I should mention that if life were an A.A. Milne book, my father would play the character of Eeyore. Nonetheless, the search for my fifth car continues. If you’re still confused about how infatuated I am with the idea of new “whip” (for you Gracie) let me elaborate a little further: I currently have one Brooks Aker on the hunt. He is at this very moment constructing a list of the Top 5 Cars he sees me in. That is a true story. I have really great friends.

In the midst of all the car shopping I returned again to logic. What exactly is the reason behind my madness? I have a perfectly suitable and well-equipped car, just changed her oil yesterday as a matter of fact. So what am I doing here? I should also mention that my best friend, Grace, just bought a brand new Altima- oh and my sister, a new Jeep. See where this is going?

My car, in all her youth, not only gets me from A to B-but does it quickly. Not to mention the miles per gallon is impressive. The car I drive every day may be a year old in my book, but why the sudden desire to replace her with something new? And the more I thought about this, the more I felt like I was betraying my car. Deeper than that: am I betraying myself?

Why is it that in life I’m always looking for the next best thing, or better yet- why can’t I just be happy with exactly what I have? Don’t get me wrong, I’m one motivated girl-but always trying to “up” what’s already there should start and stop with my career…and maybe a little self-tweaking every now and then when I get in a funk. But the more I thought about this now rooted obsession with all things shiny and new, the more my eyes opened.

Maybe this need for something up-to-date is alive in all things. I started piecing together things in my life, and the relevance I found to this idea was astonishing. Everyone loves newer things, maybe that is the sole driving force in life: to advance, but do we stop with material possessions? What about cheating/infidelity? Maybe my two-timing ex didn’t see the situation as colorful as I had suspected. Maybe this is the way his mind was working…

Me:



Other (Younger) Girl:



I feel comfortable using the Mercury Cougar in my analogy above, mainly because I used to drive one of these bad boys. In fact, that one right there is my exact Cougar. She’s a classic.

Maybe our desire to always have the “next big thing” drives us to do all sorts of crazy things. When do we learn to just be happy with what we have? Life is short, and the truth of the matter is I’ve got it pretty good. I’m happy, healthy, I’ve got great friends, and I have an incredible family. Plus I’m living a life that allows me to do this thing called writing, that I love more than anything- what more could I want?

And by the way, for those of you who are interested in Brooks’ list of the cars he most sees me in- they are as follows:

1. Honda Accord Coupe

2. Volkswagen Jetta

3. Chevy Cruze

4. Mazda 3

5. Honda Civic

Thanks Brooks, you’re the best!



No comments:

Post a Comment