Monday, April 25, 2011

... A Girl's Best Friend

Sometimes a good guy is hard to find.

For me, a guy doesn’t need to worship the ground I walk on; and his transportation need not be a white horse. Instead the only thing I really need, when it comes to finding love, is a guy who loves me exactly the way that I am. This is to say a guy who doesn’t mind all my little quirks, or my more peculiar routines. After all, the only thing a girl really wants is a guy to accept and adore her for even the silliest of her exploits.

This on the table - let me introduce to you my (other) little sister, Jess. Now Jess is a beautiful, entertaining ball of sunshine. Those of you who know my family know we’re a goofy bunch; and Jess – no exception. Nearly all my guy friends are intrigued when they either meet her or see photographs of Jess. Her whimsical personality does seem to be contagious, and when guys want to get to know this little sister of mine, well … they’re going to have to get through more than my approval alone.

In fact, any guy who becomes part of Jess’ life is just going to have to share her. And with whom are they sharing her with?

Meet Squeaky:


Eighteen years ago this little guy was dropped into a young Jess’ arms, and the rest was history. And if you’re a guy who wants to share a bed with Jess – you’re going have to share a bed with one very purple prehistoric friend. However, it’s not just this little chap you have to worry about. There have been numerous Squeakys over the years. Guys, how would you like to wake up to this every morning?



… All those eyes staring back at you. But to the guys who think this little quirk would have you running for the hills – I’ve got news for you.

Almost every girl has a Squeaky.

Now I’m not saying that we all cuddle up next to purple dinosaurs that squeak every night, but we females are a sentimental species. And for the record, every last one of my ex-boyfriends has also had their own version of Squeaky. Only while they bury these furry creatures in their closets, us girls utilize them as enchanting bedside pillows. What can I say? We are female, hear us roar! And our furry sidekicks just kinda come with the package

Ladies and Gentleman meet Exhibit A: Phylis


I first saw this green ball of fur at age ten – and it was love.

And this Phylis, one of many, just sort of means the world to me. When I meet a guy, who isn’t quite as easy to convert to a Phillies fan as my former Neglected Ex was, he’s still gonna have to share a bed with Phylis. And a backseat on road trips, because yes – Phylis comes along.

And just like Jess, Phylis isn’t alone. Meet Exhibit B:



Every ex boyfriend of mine reading this is saying…. “ahhh Snowey”

Snowey has been with me for eighteen years, just like Squeaky has been with Jess. Many ex’s have grown to love him, a few tried to steal him – proving that even guys have sentimental traces.

We’ve heard our whole lives that diamonds are a girl’s best friend. Ok, sure … but our stuffed animals came first; and making us happy means accepting us and our idiosyncratic connections to the fuzzy emblems of our childhood. If you want to make us even happier - bypass the flowers and the candy. Surprise us with a furry friend. But be prepared- there is a good chance you may be snuggling up to our newfound companion soon after.

1 comment:

  1. Squeaky says he feels important because you included him in this blog. And he wanted to tell you that he had a bath today...so he's all clean and ready for you to come back to see him...

    ReplyDelete