Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"life is short"

I live my life by the book, or well … by my planner.

And today I’m sitting at Panera Bread in the University in between a work meeting and my evening class with a good friend of mine. This is what I do almost every Tuesday. On Monday, I’m more than likely at McAlister’s Deli at the University; but Tuesday … oh Tuesday, a much better day than Monday for many reasons. Add the Black Bean soup at Panera to that list.

I try to utilize my time in the University area by visiting with my friends that still live there, like my little sister who I bummed around with yesterday. Today I’m enjoying this fantastic soup with the company of a former roommate. Former roommate still lives in the area, and the opportunity to see each other doesn’t come around often.

So here we sit, at a small square table in Panera conversing about life, as old friends typically do. In the midst of my gloating session, referencing my up-coming Mother-Daughter Weekend trip to Florida with my mom and sister, we began discussing the summer months, rapidly approaching.

I tell her I went bathing suit shopping in preparation for my trip, and to my utter disappointment found absolutely nothing I liked. She concurred saying she wasn’t even going to filter through racks of swim suits until she lost at least 20 lbs.

The guy, one table over, raises his eyebrows. I catch this guy’s smirk, affirming he’s thinking exactly what I am, or more appropriately what I’m always thinking with this particular friend.

Oh yeah? And where exactly are you planning on losing said pounds?

My current lunch-time company is even smaller in size than I am. Only she doesn’t see it that way. Its mind blowing that she looks in the mirror and sees herself as anything but slim; she’s absolutely gorgeous, too. Girls

The lady behind me is eating a bear claw.



And it looks phenomenal.

My former weight conscious friend has now transformed into one hungry hippo.

But when she wipes the drool off the side of her face she launches into the reasons why she can’t consume such a delicious treat. Reason 1: she’s already SO fat – Reason 2: she doesn’t fit into any of her clothes – Reason 3: she doesn’t have time to make it to the gym today – Reason 4 …

Well, you get the idea.

Even me, the friend who loves you no matter what, is annoyed but I smile and play along …

“You’re the smallest girl I know.” Which is true

But my reassuring is to no avail. She’s still bitching about her weight, and I’m making a mental note to NEVER again say to boyfriend: “I’m having a fat day.” And she’s still going on about this freaking bear claw. I’m about thirty seconds away from getting myself a bear claw and eating it in front of her. What? I have no shame.

Out of the corner of my eye I see this guy, one table over, stand and pack his things into his shoulder bag, and walk away. Meanwhile my friend is still on the weight kick, telling me that she doesn’t care what I say- if she eats only once a day she’ll lose weight. Come on, now.

I see the same guy walking towards us, and my thought: what in the world …

He stops beside my slender friend and extends his hand out to her, which holds one large, messy bear claw.

My friend sits in pure shock. Guy continues to stand beside her, and my eyes are darting back and forth between these two people sitting across from me; one a good friend- the other a complete stranger. At first I think she believes he’s hitting on her, but he’s wearing a ring yes, I notice these things. Still sitting in disbelief she says something to the affect of ‘thanks, but no thanks.’ Guy doesn’t budge.

So she reaches up, takes hold of this tasty dessert, and mutters a sound I’m going to assume is the equivalent of a thank you. Guy smiles down at her, glances at me, and then says:

life is short

…turns and walks away.

Leaving my stunned friend and I sitting at this small square table in the University location of Charlotte, NC. Who was the giver of this delectable treat? What white horse did he ride up on? Who knows, but you know something, he’s right. And I’ll remember that as I finish off this red velvet cream cheese icing cupcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment