Friday, April 15, 2011

Isolation Method

Sometimes people still surprise me, in a good way.

As I was getting off the elevator to leave work today I was digging in my oversized purse for one item: George Batailles’ Story of the Eye. On a side note, if you’re familiar with the book- don’t judge me.

I was handing it off to a guy friend of mine from class, who is writing his final paper on themes inside various Batailles texts, and since I have recently become the library for all things Post-Structuralism, I’m letting him check one out. I half expected him to meet me at my office upstairs, or to be on the first level of my building when I stepped off the elevator- but the doors opened and my fellow classmate was nowhere to be found.

And back to my oversized purse, this time to dig out my phone from amongst heaps of paperwork. Luckily I ran into him on the other side of the building and handed him this rather unorthodox piece of literature. He asks if I’m parked in the West Deck, I am, and he offers to walk with me.

On our walk we converse about our final paper and the god awful Kristeva book we just read, and how we’re both desperately trying to pull something out of it in order to put pen to paper and turn in our analytical essays next week- and then never ever meet Kristeva’s notions of literary criticism again (hopefully). I should add that this classmate of mine is not only incredibly intelligent, but has saved my bewildered ass time and time again over the course of this semester.

Just when we’ve about reached my car, parked in solitude as I always find her on Friday afternoons, he mentions to me that he reads my blogs. Oh, boy. I thank him for reading (thank you, too:)) and he said sure- he enjoys them, and then he added: “It’s a good way to get to know you; I’ll go ahead and let you know I’ve had a crush on you this semester.”

Wait, you read my blog and STILL have a crush on me?

But he continued… he said “and you know, I don’t have much of a tactic about picking up girls anyway, but with you- I’m pretty nervous”

So I’m intimidating and/or scary?  If you’re a guy and you read anything I write—well, this makes more sense...

He went on to say that I seemed very sure of myself when it came to guys and relationships. I felt pretty awful there for a second, I didn’t and don’t want him or any of you to think I’m heartless. I’ve got a heart, a great big one, and a few people (every now and then ;)) catch a glimpse of it.

We carried our conversation on a little more into blogging and writing in general. I laughed when he made reference to my infamous “Sabotage Mode,” and I know for a fact he shares my agony when it comes to my Monday night blues. I was pretty excited that my go-to classmate with all the answers reads my words. And as we were about to part ways I slipped in a: you know I’ll probably write about this…

But he did, told ya he was smart ;) In fact, the name above I can’t take any credit for. Although to this point, you’re more than likely confused about how that title has anything to do with this blog.

Allow me to explain…

“Isolation Method” is the term coined by my fellow classmate to refer to his actual technique of talking to me today. As I had suspected he had reached my building before I left work, and had even thought of walking in and heading up, but he didn’t. Want to know why?

Because he imagined if he came up to my office I, along with my co-workers, would be scrambling around trying to leave and in the midst of Friday afternoon madness there wouldn’t be any chance for he and I to talk. He was right, the end of the work day every Friday might as well be the first day of a co-ed’s Spring Break.

So he waited around outside, and when I emerged from the building he offered to walk me to my car, just the two of us - isolation.

And as he's divulging these thoughts of his to me, I'm thinking I'm pretty impressed by this guy, even more than I already was (Did I mention I would kill to comprehend Lit Theory an ounce of the way he does?) He wasn’t trying to “pick me up,” as he put it, he was just being friendly. And even though he already knew my relationship status, and wasn’t trying to disrupt it- he just wanted to have a conversation with me about something other than “how many pages have you finished on your paper?” Or answer anymore of my literary theory questions like: “what the hell is Blanchot talking about??”

And also, I found his strategy to start the conversation with me charming, and frankly…relieving

As it happens, girls- we aren’t the only ones thinking all the possible factors in our minds before we approach a guy or a situation with a guy. Turns out, guys get just as nervous as we do. I had forgotten this because I live with Jared Allan, who never seems to feel shy. That is a true story. As I write this he’s in the other room serenading me with something to the tune of: “Jordan’s sad that life isn’t fair, and I’m dancing around in my underwear…”

So my classmate was/is a breath of fresh air, not that you’re not Jared. Between you and Best Friend, who needs entertainment like Comedy Central or youtube?

So if you’re thinking about a guy, or turning over possible outcomes or episodes in your mind, or even rehashing a past experience…don’t worry your pretty little head about it. Turns out, if you’re over analyzing something (I’m the Queen of said action) chances are you’re not alone. And if in this particular situation you are alone, then move on up- find someone who will get just as excited/nervous about you.

There are a few good ones left out there, and my fellow classmate is your proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment